Saturday, August 2, 2014

Sitting at the Bar at the Farmer and the Fish=Oysters and craft beer of course

When I was growing up it was drummed into my head that a proper lady does not go into a bar on her own to just "hang out".  Heck, a proper lady does not get tattoos either.  I found myself lonely and alone for dinner a few months ago. I couldn't take the house, and all the emotions that went with it. I was sad over the fact that one of the things I had come to enjoy in this despair was hanging out with the lively crowd at the Farmer and the Fish (FM rating 9 - not for those with a peanut allergy ) on any given night. The place has great seafood, despite being small, a great bar, and they play amazing tunes. He and I would go for the Red, White and Blue special and the Scallop Salad. That day I found myself lonely, I was so distraught that I picked myself up and decided if there was no room at the bar, I would take a table and sit and eat dinner. I even armed myself with a book, just in case. There was room at the bar and the bartender made me feel comfortable but I remembered something else my mother taught me, the best way to meet and talk to people is to talk to people. So I struck up a conversation with the people sitting around me. I had a blast. Funny thing was I had an incredibly meaningful conversation with complete strangers that I most likely will never see again. This is where I truly learned to love oysters. I learned that a proper lady can go into a bar alone without the world ending. By the way, this lady sports ink, proudly. 

Where was I going with this? We went for beer and oysters last night, and yes while I know this blog is more about my rambles around the planet, close to home is a journey for someone else. What I learned about oysters is that like anything else, you are better off buying a few good ones than ordering the cheapest on the menu. While I do like the Red, White and Blue special (6 blue point oysters or clams, a glass of wine or PBR with the option of upgrading to a craft), exploring the rest of the oyster menu is highly recommended. Its like eating only the frosting on a cupcake if you don't. What I have learned to do, order the RWB special as a warm up to the culinary explosion of the other types of oysters. My favorites? Pemaquid (ME), Spinney Creek (ME), Moonstones (RI), Quilcene (WA) and Chefscreek (BC).  I was not disappointed last night. 

Another dish on their menu well worth indulging in is the Seared Scallop Salad. A few years ago when off on one of my Adventures with Pete I found out just how good a scallop was raw. I was served up this delicacy by his friend Ubby, while we were out lobstering. I admit I was scared but considering I chickened out of biting the head off a bait fish, I decided to bite the bullet and eat it. OMG, I am talking orgasm in a shell incredible. The seared scallops on this salad are just barely cooked and as close to that AWP experience I have ever come across. Don't be afraid of the fried egg on the greens, break open the yolk and enjoy the richness it adds to the bitterness of the frisee. 

The next time you find yourself wondering, yes, get dressed up, pony up to the bar, order yourself something wonderful from the rawbar and LIVE a little. Also, check out their farm stand, it's really cool, especially if your into living local! 

*people with a peanut allergy beware, just like 5 guys there are peanuts galore and the shells are just dropped on the floor. 

#farmerandthefish #oysters #westchester #NYmetro #happyhour #livelocal #dinneroptions #craftbeer 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Remember you are always beautiful! Believe in yourself and you will move mountains.