Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Governor's Island, Midtown and some Great Beers- It's a date!



I want to make it clear that I still love my misguided spouse very much. So much so that some days I can barely function through the waterworks that well up in my heart. I am getting better at allowing myself to feel that pain, to push into it, to make it real instead of anticipatory. This, along with meditation, positive thinking, exercise and the occasional beer have helped me cope. Some days I find myself pining for him, and will drop everything to be with him. Some days I am pissed as hell at him, and he spends a good portion of the day ducking my wrath. Then there are some days, that I am just skeptical, these are usually the best days because I find that I don't really expect much and then beautiful things happen, they don't last forever but sometimes just a moment is enough freedom from my hovel in hell is all I need.
My trip to Arkansas was a soul searching trip. I was trying to find out what I still had left inside me. Turns out, not much, but that was the beauty of that trip, my friends helped me find the threads that were left and helped me spin those into a much finer cloth which I know with persistence will continue to grow. Sunday I was put to the test. I was asked out on a date. A new man already you say? Well, not exactly. I was asked by my wayward knight in rusty armor if I would like to join him on Governors Island. I obliged. 
Its funny when you don't know anymore what is real and what is surmised, what is the truth and what is a complete tale, you end up just living in the present. I went to Governors Island with the sinking suspicion that his last trip there was on a date, and I never lost that sense the whole day, especially when we went to this swanky craft beer bar in Midtown. I don't know, I had to ask myself, was it worth my anxiety, should I let it wreck a beautiful day and the opportunity to feed my white wolf, be the better person, enjoy the love that was being thrown my way for what it was, a few hours of kindness, and friendship. So I had the attitude, no kissing on the first date, no expectations of anything more, no crying, getting angry, etc. It mostly worked. Lets just say we had a lovely day and leave it at that, period. 

We took an early train to the city, parts of the Sunday NY Times in hand, a camera, a backpack, and some stories from the road in hand. A short subway and ferry trip after the commuter train and we found ourselves on this island of interesting buildings, tree lined walkways, and lots and lots of art! Not to mention the food trucks galore and the hammock grove. This is the perfect place for a I did so well you'll fuck me later date.  Romantic? Yes, it can be super romantic. It can also be a really cool place to take your family and just yourself. 


We arrived there, walked around, visited the open studios, both 2D and 3D works then got some food from the food trucks. He had Vietnamese, I had Belgian, we split some fries and ice cream. We continued exploring the island. We wound up in the hammock grove and actually scarfed up a hammock. It was relaxing to spend the afternoon being best friends for a change, though there were definitely no benefits being thrown my way, se la vie. Eventually we hit up the beer garden and sat in an adirondack chair for two before making our way back to the ferry.

Frame NY Project
The island sports many tour opportunities, barracks, castle, etc. as well as two food court areas, both completely different. There are a few playgrounds and a very nice (incredible) hammock grove. You can rent bikes or even a surrey or you can bring your own. Adventurous cyclists may even try the ferry in from Manhattan the ferry out to Brooklyn and then a ride across the Brooklyn bridge to return to Manhattan. The calendar lists a ton of activities and happenings on the island, art, music, lectures, etc. Don't forget that this place is part National Park, so if you are a NP passport holder visit the bookshop to stamp your book before heading out, or just visit the bookshop to find a book about the island, there is lots of history to catch up on. (FM rating- 12++)



After our visit to Governors Island we took the subway north to 59th Street and headed over to 60th and 1st to a place called The Jeffery for a bite to eat and some great craft beer.






The Jeffery Craft Beer and Bites - this place is "a must stop" for any craft beer enthusiast visiting Manhattan or on a date in Manhattan. It is an intimate space with small bites and sandwiches and an incredible selection of rotating taps. We ordered some cheeses and venison pate to share while we sampled a few crafts beers that we had never tried. This is another one of those get lucky later places. (FM rating 10++)



Despite my luck running out a while ago, it was a lovely day with the rusty armored soul.
















































No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Remember you are always beautiful! Believe in yourself and you will move mountains.